Thursday, June 21, 2012

What's in a name?

One Great Thing.. what the heck does that mean anyway? 

Back when Chad and I first started dating, he was a self proclaimed bad boy.  I don't think he ever thought he would meet someone and settle down (and neither did I, to be honest! HA! We had been friends for so long before we started dating, that I knew he was trouble!).  I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I am really glad I did!


As our relationship started to get more serious, he told me one day that I was his one great thing, and I had changed his life.  At the time, I didn't realize there was more to that other than a sweet romantic thing he said- but it became my nickname. 

Fast forward to a year later.  Chad's dad had been diagnosed with cancer, and was terminal.  Chad, Wes and I moved to Arkansas so that we could be there to help his mom, and I took the role of caregiver while everyone was at work.  Jack and I spent a lot of time sitting around in the living room talking.  You name it- we talked about it.  I knew that this was my only chance to get to know Chad's dad, and I wanted to know everything I could.  We spent hours going over the family tree, and talking about different members of the Selby family.  I probably drove him nuts, now that I think back on it (I can just imagine him doing his classic Jack Selby eye roll as I walked into the room!).

One day, we started talking about Chad's grandmother.  Jack told me that she used to tell Chad that every person has one great thing in their life.  One thing that defines them.  You just have to figure out what that great thing is. 

Then he said something that changed me- forever.  He said, "You know, that's what I like about you- you try to do one great thing every day."   Tears immediately rushed to my eyes, it was the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.  I had never thought about it in terms like that before.  I didn't wake up in the morning and try to figure out what I was going to do that was selfless that day.  I just always did it, because it was the thing that made me the most happy. 

We lost Jack just a few short months later.  


So, when it came time to figure out what I was going to call this tiny little business I was trying to start, the choice was pretty easy.  I might as well use the nickname Chad had so lovingly gave me (and his dad explained), so that every time I saw the shop name, I would remember to do good- to help others, and to pay it forward- selflessly.  Every single day.  Doing that, is my One Great Thing. 

1 comment:

  1. I never knew that's where the name came from! That is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete