Monday, July 16, 2012

Secret Cookie Recipe :)

I always tell people that if I didn't design clothes, I would bake for a living!  I LOVE making cupcakes- in fact, I make so many cupcakes that I usually can't give them all away, because my boys aren't cupcake crazy.

So, one day I decide that I have to figure out a way to translate my cupcakes into cookies- so that they would get eaten!  It took several tries, but I finally created a recipe that works well with (get ready for it) BOX CAKE MIXES!  Yes- really.  This is probably the yummiest, easiest recipe you will ever find.  Plus, it is kid and budget friendly!  So go grab that box of cake mix that has been sitting in your pantry- and let me tell you my cookie secret :)

What you will need:

1 box of cake mix (any flavor!)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
powdered sugar or sprinkles

THIS IS IMPORTANT!  Don't skimp on quality ingredients- the difference between amazing cookies, and ho hum cookies is using the best oil and eggs you can find.  I use Crisco vegetable oil, and Eggland's Best cage free all natural brown eggs (if you knew where the cheapie ones came from, you wouldn't want to eat them anymore!) Since this recipe is so inexpensive in the first place, it doesn't hurt to spend a few extra bucks to get great ingredients. 

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees


Like I said- this recipe is super kid friendly.  We make these cookies a lot since they are so fast and easy- so Wes made the cookies for me so I could take pictures :) 

*Mix cake mix, eggs, and oil in a large bowl
Wes likes to stir with a spoon, and then I usually finish up the mixing with my electric mixer when his arms get tired :) 


You will know you are done mixing when the dough has a play-doh like consistency, and forms a ball in your bowl.  Its ok to get down there and squish it around if you want to :)  We usually can't resist!
The next step is the fun part!  Start by making sure your powdered sugar and/or sprinkles are nearby in a small bowl. 

*Pinch off some dough, and roll it into a ball with your hands.  I usually tell Wes that it should be the size of a bouncy ball.
*Roll the dough in the powdered sugar, or sprinkles- whichever you prefer!  (I did both here so you could see both ways.)
*Place the dough on your baking sheets (it usually takes two), and press it gently down with your fingers.

 Now seems like a good time to tell you about my sprinkle obsession-since I know you guys are going to ask where I got the Mickey sprinkles!  I LOVE SPRINKLES!  My friends can tell you that my collection is a little ridiculous- my sprinkles take up two shelves in my kitchen cabinet!  My favorite place to get them is Sweet Treat Supplies on Etsy.  She has a huge variety of sprinkles, cupcake liners, and all of the other fun stuff you need for baking.  This is especially handy for people like me who live in small towns and don't have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels anywhere near by.

Also, by now you may have noticed that I really like red!

*Bake the cookies at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.   This part can be tricky- when you pull them out, you will swear they are not cooked.  BUT keep in mind, cookies are very heat sensitive, and they will continue to cook for a few minutes after you take them out of the oven, because they are so hot.  Don't even think about touching them for at least five minutes after they come out of the oven.  I know, I know- you will be tempted because they smell SOOOO GOOD- but don't do it!

That's it!  You now have super yummy, cute fun cookies! 

 A few quick tips...
-Stock up on cake mix when it goes on sale at your local grocery store.  The United I shop at does a 10 for 10 sale on them a few times a year.  Combined with coupons, this is a GREAT deal!  There is never a bad time to make cookies, and with mix on hand, I can always whip up some in a flash for people that come over, or for school functions, teachers gifts, etc.
-Store extra cookies in the freezer!  When you are ready to eat them, just sit them out on the kitchen counter, and let them dethaw.
-Change it up!  Don't be scared to try something new.  A few variations we love are pineapple cupcakes with brown sugar topping, creating ice cream cookie sandwiches, and funfetti cookies with cream cheese frosting.

Now go get baking!

XO
Cassi 


No comments:

Post a Comment